Stewart Memorial Fund
The Irvin Stewart Memorial Fund was created in 1991 to honor former President Irvin Stewart, WVU's thirteenth president (1946–1958) and a strong supporter of WVU students applying for nationally competitive scholarships.
Applications to this Fund can be made to support activities that directly support a student’s application for one of the scholarships or fellowships that the ASPIRE Office works with. These activities include (but are not limited to):
- Travel to scholarship interviews.
- Supplemental funding for study abroad (especially for study already partially supported by a Gilman, Boren or CLS Scholarship).
- Research projects.
Applications to this Fund are accepted at any time, and all decisions are made by a Committee made up of faculty and staff.
Selection for funding is based on the following criteria:
- Clarity of the description of the proposed activity to be funded (including a budget).
- Likelihood that the proposed activity will directly aid the student’s application for scholarships or fellowships (including that the student is a competitive applicant).
- Relationship between proposed activity and public service.
In general, grants will not exceed $500.
Please email the ASPIRE Office for questions.